Friday, March 05, 2004

VROOOOOMMMMMM


I have to confess that I am a humble devotee, an ardent worshipper and a zealous fan of F1 (Formula 1 for the uninitiated). And I have had this unique privilege to watch it live today. A day I shall remember for the rest of my life, not as much for the sound and the furore the cars create, but for the guts, strength and will of the drivers to race at such breakneck speeds.

My father would have termed such racing as lunacy, almost bordering on insanity. I mean, who in their right mind would hurl down a road at nearly 300 Kmph, and take corners at 100 k’s, I could totally understand my dads feeling. But then the same madness of hurling down the tight corners attracts me to this marvellous sport.

This game typically personifies the glorious uncertainty of life. The drivers do not know what lies behind the turns or for that matter whether they would live to see another turn, or whether they would finish the race, as they compete for supremacy. The odds stacked against the competing drivers, equally, and the adrenalin rush being the only prime motivator. F1 is such a treat to watch, as much for the technology and glamour associated with it, as for the sheer audacity and temperament of the drivers. Each twist & turn testing the mettle of the driver, prodding him, cajoling him and daring him to make a mistake and every driver pitting his wits against the fellow driver and the track itself, makes for a fascinating & eclectic mix. The cars are really a piece of art every car unique by itself and a technological masterpiece in its own right.

They say seeing is believing and today I saw the spectacle that I have always been dreaming about.

No comments: